If you have watched the Terminator, then you know that robots taking over the world is not so strange now with advanced artificial intelligence and robotics. However, this is still a far-fetched idea for the next hundred years, at least. But what’s more likely than this is that the electric vehicles and, in particular, electric trucks taking over the auto transport industry. Do you think that can happen? Well, let’s discover together by looking at the potential challenges and benefits below:
Potential Issues That Need to Be Fixed:
We believe that electric trucks will be more viable for car transport and can potentially bring down the cost. However, there are some potential issues that need to be solved before the auto shipping industry can start using them.
- Battery Charging: this is the main issue because car transport trucks need to travel for thousands of kilometers, and that can quickly drain there battery. Granted, the highest electric car can go is 600 miles, and that is the Tesla Roadster. But that is just a car; when you add the weight of the giant hauler and 10-15 cars, the battery will drain out in minutes.
- Availability of Stations: Even if the battery issue is fixed, charging stations will have to be set up in every region of the nation because transportation trucks go everywhere. Setting up several thousand charging stations is something that cannot be done in a few months or even years. So because of this, the electric trucks will be bound to travel to a certain radius.
- Load Carrying Capability: Trucks that run on oil or diesel have extremely powerful engines that pump out blazing fast horsepower. However, battery engines still need time to get to a point where they can go from 0 to a hundred in seconds while carrying the load of a giant hauler and several cars. So this can increase the time of delivery of vehicles because of the increase in transit duration.
Advantages of Using Electric Trucks for Auto Transport:
- Lower Emission: The reason why many switch to electric cars is because of no carbon footprint which means your car won’t be pumping out toxins into the environment. Now imagine hundreds of thousands of trucks dumping gas and diesel and switching to electric engines. This can significantly reduce the carbon footprint.
- Low Cost of Operation: Car transport companies will spend less on electricity as compared to fuel because it’s simple cheaper. Furthermore, since the engine won’t need oil or other disposable parts, vehicle shipping companies won’t have to shell out several thousand dollars on a monthly basis in changing engine oil or replacing other parts that are required in petrol or diesel engines. This decrease in operational cost means decrease in the cost to ship a car for customers as well.
- Higher Profits: Companies that adopt electric trucks will enjoy extra revenue. This is because the electric trucks weight less than the trucks that have internal combustion engines. This means the truck will be able to get more vehicles on board and earn more money from a single shipment.
- Safety and Convenience: Several truckers get injured or killed because of accidents. But, if the truck gets safety features such as panoramic windows, improved brakes and 360-degree cameras, the percentage of accidents will drop significantly. Virtually all of the electric cars come with such features, so an electric truck should have them as default as well.
There is no doubt that a lot of work needs to be done to get electric auto transport trucks on the road but once they hit the road, many companies will quickly switch to them. However, we are still far from the day when electric trucks take over the car transport industry.
First the potential issues mentioned above need to be solved. And secondly, electric trucks should be introduced with an affordable price tag. Not every car shipping company will be able to make a switch from petrol/diesel trucks to the electric ones.